30 August 2009

Genealogy


My intention was to someday post something about my family tree, so I might as well do it now. It isn't that I think that anyone other than myself and maybe some of my cousins will be even slightly interested, but one never knows.
On my father's side my family is descended from on Patrick Carroll, who emigrated - we believe from County Cork, Ireland - sometime about 1849, to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Patrick had two wives. By the first, one Mary Hennessy, he had four children (two who survived childhood) - Coleman Carroll, who was named for his Uncle, Patrick's brother; and 'Katie" Carroll, who married one John Morrison. The Morrisons outlived all 6 of their children, but one of them was a Freeholder in the City of Camden, New Jersey when he died from a heart attack, while in his office.
Patrick Carroll's second wife was named Catherine Maloney. They were my 2nd great grandparents. Patrick and Catherine had 5 children, 3 of whom have living descendants. The children were Joseph, Charles (my great-grandfather), Mamie (married William Burrows), Maggie (married Michael Fox), and Lizzie (married John McGonigle.) All of them lived in Philadelphia, or nearby.
My great-grandparents were Charles and Catherine (Uleau) Carroll. Catherine's father, my ggGrandfather, was one Henry Uleau, who was from Kassel, Germany. Henry emigrated as a young man and enlisted in the US Marines. Originally he was stationed in Brooklyn. He was a clerk in the Quartermaster's office at the Navy Yard there. For a few years, about 1862-1866, he was transferred to California, where my great-grandmother and one of her brothers were born, but eventually the family returned to Brooklyn. When my ggGrandmother Sabina Uleau died, Henry remarried, to a woman named Mary Nolan. They had a son (Henry's 6th child) named Francis, who grew up to be a Priest in Brooklyn. Sometime in the 1870's, the family moved to Philadelphia, and Henry's sons and daughter remained in the area, but another daughter returned with her step-mother to Brooklyn after Henry's death in 1890.
By the way - one of the best things about having Henry Uleau as a ggGrandfather is that his name is completely unique. As far as I can tell, he was the only Uleau in the United States in his time. This means that any time I see that name, I can be reasonably certain that I am looking at a reference to some relative or other. Of course it is possible that some person named Uleau entered the country at a later time, but if so, the a) their name hasn't come up on any database searches and b) chances are that person would be related, too. I have never sone a search in Germany or France (I was always told that he was Alsation), but it does not seem like a common name anywhere.
Charles Carroll (pictured) was a carpenter like his father, and Catherine taught Piano. According to one of my distant cousins, Charles sang in the choir at the Cathedral of SS. Peter & Paul, and it is there that he met a man who later was to be his brother-in-law, the ancestor of said distant cousin. I heard from a cousin that Catherine played the organ at the cathedral, but I have not been able to have this confirmed.
More later on the Heaney side (from Dungiven) of my father's family, and on my mother's family, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment