21 October 2009

I am saddened

Mary, my cousin, is the girl sitting on the right side. As best I can figure, the picture was taken in 1960 or early 1961. The baby is either my brother of a cousin, born 9 months later than he. My brother would have been missing from the picture in that case. The woman holding the baby is not my mother. Perhaps she is my Aunt, looking much younger and different than I remember her.
    My cousin was called earlier today (or yesterday) by the police who found his sister in her apartment. She had been dead for some days - possibly 5 of them. My cousin's brother (also my cousin) called me this morning to give me the news. The cause of death is unknown. Mary had complained to a friend that she wasn't feeling well about 5 days ago, and said she would call the doctor. The friend received no answer when she tried to call the next day. 
     As sad as this is to me personally, I feel particularly sad for Mary's son. He is an actor living in a different city. I have met him two or three times in as many decades, but I can't say I know him well at all. I rarely spoke to Mary. The last time was my Uncle's funeral 4 years ago. I believe that was the last time I met her son, and likely the only time he'd remember meeting me.
     He, being the only child, and without a father, will have to make all of the decisions regarding the remains and whatever estate there may be. It will no doubt be tough for him, and my cousins. I know that Mary will not be buried from a church, and since her son and at least one of her brothers, live in cities far removed from her home, it remains to be seen what will be done in her memory.
     I will of course be awaiting news.

No comments:

Post a Comment