15 September 2009

New Neighbor

I met the woman who was moving yesterday into the building next to mine, and I met two of her friends, who were helping her move in. To make a long story short, the woman is the director of the Christian Family Counseling Center, of which I am (ironically) a client. This was actually the first thing she told me, after her first name.
Her friends were telling me about her husband, who is some sort of conservative political radio talk-show host locally. Already, I am missing my old neighbors, a couple who bought a house in a town nearby - probably with the intention of breeding. They were a nice enough couple.
In the five minute conversation I had with the new neighbor and company, I found at least five things to make my mind water and my tongue bleed (because of the biting.) Not least of all was the one guy who told me (after I told him that between my seven siblings and I we ran the full gamut between political and religious outlooks) that his family was similar because his younger brother took a much more literate interpretation of the bible than he did himself. I did not bother to mention the Jewish/Catholic/Agnostic/Atheist members of my family. I did not want to make the guy dizzy while he was doing all that work.
Still - they were nice enough, and presumably will continue to be if I keep far away from them. I hope I don't run into the woman when I show up at my next session.
By the way... the counselor I am seeing, while certainly a Christian, does manage to keep his religious views to himself for the most part. The one time he started to bring it in was when he cited St. Paul to support a comment I had made. I just stared at him, and I think it was the last time he did that.
Another time he told me that since one cannot disprove the existence of God, one might as well believe. I told him the same cold be said for unicorns. I did not mention that were I to believe in any god, it wold be Thor. At least I can see lightning.

No comments:

Post a Comment